MISSION AND PEACEMAKING
The members and friends of Clayton Valley Presbyterian Church have a history of partnering with community and mission-oriented groups. From our first days in 1956, we joined Presbyterian Women in supporting mission efforts throughout the world. Closer to home, we started in 1958 by sponsoring Boy Scout Troop 364, which continues to meet at the church and serve the community. We first became active with the Interfaith Council of Contra Costa County (formerly known as the Council of Churches) in 1961, living our faith through social justice advocacy. In 1985, the church founded our Children’s Center, to provide affordable child care and learning for children ages 2 through 4 in our community. Today, our mission focus is on hunger and housing in our local community, Our mission is supported by affiliation with the Contra Costa Interfaith Coalition and their programs, Habitat for Humanity, and the Contra Costa / Solano Food Bank. We also support the missions of the Presbyterian Church USA through special offerings, disaster assistance giving, and the Presbytery of San Francisco mission programs.
We participate in Winter Nights which is sponsored by the Contra Costa Interfaith Housing organization, and participate once a month in serving meals at the Pittsburg Community Church. We often have Work Days reaching out to others, such as Oakland Peace Center in Oakland, CA.
For more information about mission and peacemaking opportunities at Clayton Valley Presbyterian Church, please call 925-672-4848..
OUR MISSION OUTREACH INCLUDES:
- Contra Costa Interfaith Coalition, bringing resources from the wider faith community to the homeless and working poor (www.ccichope.org)
- Food Bank of Contra Costa and Solano County, helping to stock food pantries, soup kitchens, and hunger programs (www.foodbankccs.org)
- Habitat for Humanity – East Bay, helping to create homeownership opportunities by building sustainable housing (www.habitateb.org)
- Interfaith Council of Contra Costa County, Faith-based political action and social justice advocacy (www.interfaithccc.org)
- Monument Crisis Center, a food pantry and resource center for families in need (www.monumentcrisiscenter.org)
- Putnam Clubhouse, promoting community and life beyond mental illness (www.putnamclubhouse.org)
- Rainbow Community Center, welcoming members of the LGBT community, their families and friends, as well as WOW (“Witness Our Welcome”), an annual interfaith worship celebration for the LGBT community (www.rainbowcc.org)
- Souper Bowl of Caring, collect soup donations from the congregation on Super Bowl Sunday, donate them to a local food bank, and then register our participation and results with Souper Bowl of Caring (www.souperbowl.org)
Multifaith Action Coalition which helps with poverty in Contra Costa County, CA. (www.multifaithactioncoalition.org)
Dougbe River Presbyterian School of Liberia which helps Liberian young people become empowered by education to develop their nation and reduce poverty. (www.drpsl.com)